3 Poems by Haley Clancy

3 Poems
by Haley Clancy





I learnt that we all have a poem. This one is called life. The one, one tries to keep writing everyday. I mean, some are going line by line while others are still figuring out how to spell their first words. One with feet or just how you stopped those to get one by a girl on the side of a street. How her poem started with a business along the lines of a poems purpose or how yours can start with whatever is your purpose. So one would ask, what is your poem about? Is it about those siblings who stopped to get one about how they both broke the same arm on the same day. The lady who has been waiting to turn the age twenty six on the twenty sixth. The man who cried on the sidewalk because he had to send his baby girl off to the army that day. Were you the same man who came back with his daughter to give me a thank you, how she made it back home and got a chance to read it. Maybe you were the first lady I wrote a poem for, about her twentieth anniversary or did you come back two years later speaking of a divorce and stating how we should start this new poem with new beginnings. Are you the man who saw his brother drown at the age of ten and said his would be about how god uses things to save people and tell of how one day a typewriter will save you. Is it about a man who doesn't know if he should pick his girlfriend up from rehab. Is it about a man who doesn't know if he has cancer but knows you can write a poem for his seven year old son just in case he does. The man who just misses someone. Is it about a blind girl who sees you in New York and you question if she can see me now, she gets many about how she is your biggest fan. Is it the man who said do not read his poem out loud about love because he will be saving it until he gets under the moon with his. Is it about the lady who just sent her kids off to college and she said she had nothing else to do but get a poem for them because her house was empty. Is it about the girl on the side of the street who sells hope or the lady she saw on the same stool smoking dope. Are you the man I was dancing with while selling poems holding the beef jerky sign on the side of the street. Did you come over to get one about how god has you out here holding this sign because that was better than what you were doing before. I learnt that we all have a poem. This one is called life.

apoemspurpose@gmail.com


- Haley Clancy




I.

I heard the moon yelling last night

I asked the darkness to express

How the stars kept shining

Even in the sky of mess

Cause I ask of its constellations

How he has yet made it back to the sun

How the Big dipper keeps turning

Hoping to find the point of one

Cause if I wished on a dandelion

Or an atom

How day by day

This world turns to what I can’t fathom

So I wish for help

I wished for a savior

I need a sunset 

This can’t wait til later 

I hear the moon crying

Oh how the sun never rose

He gave her the light

The dark he chose



II.

Well

someone said of how we are all naked

Something about how God is still making our clothes

I unknowingly responded with all my sizes 

Hoping to cross into stories about nails

Because I have yet to find who hammered these holes

Well

It just had to been something I could try on

I know a pair of earrings could fit

Maybe I can take one of your coats

I promise, doesn’t even need to be one you would miss

I know of how I put my father's shoes on that one time

ohh how I fell in the mirror with my mother's heels of clear

Because I know of all of what daddy had to tackle

All of what momma’s heart said not to fear 

Well

I can understand if I’m still birthing the last touches

Or did you know of how my white shirt would go with dark pants

Or maybe I am in need of plenty of shoes

Ohh how I would love for the ones needed to dance 

Well

I pray that shipping is not backed up

God please tell me they gave you the option to next day

But if you never knew that you weren’t stripped

How would you back the part the cloth would play

Well

I guess of all that you bare

Like nothing else, this is something that could be perfect

I was naked once and well over twice

Asking, how it just became the mirror verses the verses

Well 

Somebody said God was making my clothes

This was what the whole thing was about

God maybe still sewing

But look down, he didn’t leave me without



III.

Let me tell you a story

About a girl who was more than what we thought

Had depths within her ocean

And gave breathe to every fish that was caught

They roamed her day and night

Exploring the beauty that she brings

Making themselves at home

Happily she praised the like queens and kings

Though more and more came

Many and many left without a goodbye

She still remembers them one by one

From the first one who said "hi"

Although some have more meaning

Because they traveled deep into her sand

Where many didn't stay

Or have the courage to withstand 

But the oceans that run deep

Are the ones we never notice

Due to its calmly flowing waves

And that sunset that takes all our focus

It's depths are what we forget about

At least it was something we all tried to do

We felt if we stayed above the water

That everything else would too

That if we chose to dive

And find where her beauty starts

Although we might not have made it back

We still would have seen her deepest parts

That her beauty would so mean much more

To those who knew the reason

Though sometimes she has high tide

Only you would know it's due to the season





Well my name is Haley. Haley Clancy. I didn’t really know how to make an author’s bio. But I grew in the suburbs outside of Pittsburgh after my father was drafted to the NFL. Parents divorced, my two sisters and I were raised by a single mother who was determined to know that we know to have faith. When I was about sixteen, I strolled by a lady with a typewriter selling poems on my phone and set out to get my own. To one day do the same thing. I did. I am trying. But I won’t go into my life changing moment but it was a time I knew my life needed changing. So you ask, what happened? I am nineteen now, I have a business called a poems purpose. Which is basically, a poem for your purpose. I sit waiting on my dreams in The Strip District, the street of Pittsburgh of where this girl found her word. And whatever else this poem may one day say or just for yours right now just email apoemspurpose@gmail.com today!

Comments